Hello! It’s been quite a long time since I last posted, so I thought I would share a couple of new recipes. Over the weekend, I went home to one of my best friend Emily’s house for fall break. In addition to her entire family being extremely welcoming, her mother taught me how to make pie, a new baking territory for me. It was definitely my favorite part of the weekend. To top it off, her mother gave me my very own pie recipe book, which is full of delicious looking recipes that I am eager to try. In the meantime, I thought I would share with you the recipes for the pies that were made over the weekend. They are apple and pumpkin, perfect for this time of year!
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup crisco
- 6-7 tablespoons cold water
- Mix flour and salt with pastry knife
- Cut in Crisco with pastry knife until pieces are pea size
- Add water a Tablespoon at a time and mix with a fork until a ball forms
- On a floured surface, flatten dough with hands and roll with a rolling pin into a 12 inch circle.
- Place in a 9 inch pie pan and flute edges.
Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Combine the eggs and sugars in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mix on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in the pumpkin, spices, and salt until blended. Stir in the cream and half-and-half until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter and flour pie pans. Prepare the double crust recipe. Pour filling into pie pans evenly.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 325 and bake for an additional 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack. Enjoy with some whipped cream!
APPLE CRUMB PIE:
- I cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups peeled and sliced Gala apples
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Mix these ingredients and place in double crust.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 cup butter (cut in)
Combine and sprinkle over apples
Cover pie edges with foil and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
Cool on a rack and enjoy with some whipped cream!